8.25.2011

The Protector

That's what I am these days.  Hazel attacks Hattie several times a day.  I can't tell you how many times she had been kicked or hit by Hazel.  Sometimes it's on purpose, but most of the time she just doesn't know how to be gentle.  I always tell her to kiss the baby on the head, but Hazel prefers the lips.  She knows she is not supposed to, so she does it when she thinks I'm not looking.  She even kisses her with her runny nose.  It's a miracle Hattie isn't sick yet.  The other day I asked Hazel to get a tissue for her nose, and instead she grabbed Hattie's blanket and wiped her nose.

If I'm not holding Hattie, I either have to have Hazel locked up or Hattie.  I left Hattie on my bed one day while I went to switch the laundry and when I came back Hazel was pulling Hattie off the bed by her feet and I barely saved her before the big fall.  I left Hattie in the bassinet while I went to the bathroom, and I forgot to shut the door of the room and when I came back Hazel was climbing in with Hattie. 

We finally bought a double stroller and Hazel is really excited there are two seats, but I'm a little worried having them sitting so close to each other.  I know they will both be strapped in, but Hazel always finds a way to create some trouble.  We had their car seats next to each other, but that was a problem and we had to separate them.

Hazel has tried brushing Hattie's hair with her hard bristled brush and like I said before, she doesn't know how to be gentle.  She tries to play with her sister and says, "Give me 5" and then slaps Hattie's closed fist.  She tries to lay right next to her, and as she is scooting in close she bangs her head on Hattie's.  When Hazel is eating a snack, she wants to share with Hattie.  I've explained to her she can only have milk, but Hazel is usually persistent and tries to shove the food in Hattie's mouth.  I know she likes her new sister, but it can be very frustrating sometimes.  Hopefully Hazel will learn to be more gentle soon. 


8 comments:

Christin Foscarini said...

That is frustrating! Riv is always kissing Milo on the lips too. He ususally covers Milo's nose and mouth with his, so I have to keep a close eye on him. Hope it gets better for you. You said you got a double stroller, which one did you get? I still need to get one, especially with winter coming.

Jess said...

Ahhhhhhhhhhhh!! How frustrating! Hang in there :) Hope things mellow out soon.

Liz Maxfield said...

That's hilarious and frustrating. I have a feeling I was like Hazel when my little sis came along. At least it's out of love and not hate. Hope things work out real soon!!!

Liz Maxfield said...

And no worries about the San Fran trips. I totally know how crammed it can get to do the city in a day when you're coming from Sacramento and with family. We've been trying to see you guys the last couple of times we've come to UT but we can never borrow a car to drive down from Midway. It's so frustrating. We finally discovered there is an enterprise rental in Heber so hopefully next time we can see you and your new additions!!

Lindsey said...

this all sounds way too familiar. i laughed through this whole post because we are dealing with the exact same thing with graham. the worst is when i get audrey to sleep so i can get something done and graham immediately decides he needs to see his sister and by seeing he means climbing up right next to her and kissing her...so frustrating!

your 2 girls are so adorable! good luck with the protecting and let me know if you come up with any great ideas to keep the little one safe.

Loni said...

It only gets a little better with age. Lise is usually dragging one of the twins around. She thinks she's "big" enough to carry a baby, but she's not. My babies have been dropped by her multiple times. And she yells at them for pulling her hair or hits them back for hurting her on accident. KIDS!!!!

I can't believe how big Hattie is already! They grow-up so fast. I told Geoff I wanted another one because mine were too big already. He thinks I'm crazy.

Tabitha said...

It's hard to be mad when you see that cute picture of Hazel kissing Hattie!

My little guy is such a handful all by himself, I can't even imagine how crazy life will be when we have two.

I still think you are an AWESOME mom. You always seem to have everything under control! You have created a beautiful family and home.

ivyjeanne said...

How does Hattie feel about all of this? :) I worry Christian will be the same with his new brother -- that I'll find toting him around the house by his feet or something. It's definitely going to be an adjustment. I guess what we learn coming from big families is that babies aren't as breakable as they seem... ;) Otherwise, kids like you in the middle of the pack wouldn't have survived kids like me who were the oldest.