2.22.2012

Too Smart

She constantly surprises me with the things that come out of her mouth.

One day Hazel asked me if I could do her a favorite (favor).

Brendan has been stressed out a lot with school and has been using the word stressed out.  Hazel and I were doing a puzzle together that was kind of hard and she sighed and said, "Mom you do it.  I'm too stressed out."

I was making some buttermilk pancakes one day, and Hazel was helping me.  After pouring in the buttermilk, she asked if she could have a cup of it. (Brendan drinks buttermilk and has given her some before.  Yuk.  I know) I poured her some and gave her a straw.  She sipped it down really fast and said, "This is good.  Kind of like a smoothie.  Can I have some more?"

We were driving to Boise a few weekends ago and we were singing songs with Hazel in the car.  She loves singing the Wheels on the Bus.  She was singing the verses by herself when we heard her sing a new verse she made up.  She sang, "The Whitneys on the bus say I love Hazel, I love Hazel, I love Hazel."  Brendan and I looked at each other and laughed.   I guess Hazel knows my sister Whitney loves her.

At my sister's house in Boise, Hazel saw a soccer trophy and asked, "What's this? Oh, the Angel Moroni!"  I guess that's the only gold statue she knows.

Hazel is pretty tech savvy these days.  One time she got onto my phone and noticed she couldn't find the game she usually likes to play on Dad's phone.  I told her I didn't have that app on my phone and she asked me if  I could download that app on my phone for her.  Another time she wanted my phone and I asked her why and she said, "I want to watch something on youtube."  We've since put some parental controls on our phones. 

Hazel is really good at making connections from books.  Her favorite books are these Arthur books my mom gave her over the summer.  She can name all of the characters in the books.  There is one book where DW doesn't want to wear this Hawaiian shirt to the Luau and she says that she will look like a pineapple.  One time I was getting Hazel dressed and she told me she didn't want to wear something because she would look like a pineapple.  Another time she was being bossy to Hattie and I heard her say, "I'm in charge!"  I asked her who taught her that and she told me DW.  I then remembered one of the books where DW is bossing her older brother around saying she was in charge.

Hazel was sitting on the counter waiting for her toast to be done when I heard her say, "I'm exhausted waiting for my toast.  Kind of like Olivia."  I then remembered the book I had read her the night before  was called Olivia's Missing Toy.  There is a part where her mom is sewing her a new shirt and she says that she waited, and waited, and waited, until she was too exhausted to wait anymore.  I can name several more instances where Hazel copies or uses phrases from the books she is reading.  Hazel isn't very good at cleaning up her toys, and my brother suggested I get her a book on cleaning up, maybe she would copy that too.



Out in front of the house.

Helping Brendan shovel.

We haven't had much snow at all, and Hazel has been dying to wear her snow boots.  When we woke up on Sunday morning, Brendan told us he was going to go shovel Campus Plaza before church and Hazel immediately went to her room to get her snow boots on.  She of course assumed she would be coming with him.  He couldn't disappoint her, so she tagged along.

And some great news.....
Hazel is officially potty trained! (Enjoying her treat and stickers.)

We started potty training about a month ago.  The second day didn't go over very well.  Hazel threw a fit for about 20 minutes screaming that she didn't want to be a big girl anymore and wanted to wear a diaper.  That was because all 6 pairs of her underwear were dirty from accidents and I was going to have her wear a diaper cover as underwear and she wouldn't have it.  I finally put the diaper on her, but later in the day when all the underwear was clean she was back to wanting to wear underwear.

3 comments:

Tabitha said...

Oh my goodness! That's amazing. I haven't gotten up the nerve yet to attempt it with Sawyer. We have big boy undies that he wears for fun, but no serious potty training yet. I wonder if I should try it now, or wait until after baby comes this summer?

Brendan, Dana, Hazel, Hattie, and Niels said...

Wait until after the baby!

Diana Smith said...

That is awesome that you got Hazel potty trained!! I am so happy for you! Now you only have 1 in diapers. I tried to start potty training (yes early!) but yeah it wash't happening so I am going to wait it out until Olivia shows more interest!!