3.16.2012

Best Sugar Cookie Recipe


My sister, Dawn, gave me this great sugar cookie recipe a few weeks ago and I love it.  The cookies turn our very thick and soft inside.  They might look a little dry from the picture, but I took these pictures when the cookies were 2 days old.  This recipe doesn't require you to refrigerate the dough like most usually do, and it doesn't require cream of tartar.  The recipe calls for sour cream, but I substituted Costco's greek yogurt and didn't even notice a difference.  I love Costco's greek yogurt.  It is thick and creamy and the only ingredient is milk and the live active cultures.  My sister, Whitney, substituted the buttermilk in the fluffy buckwheat pancakes I posted about before, with this yogurt and said they were great.  I also use the yogurt in place of sour cream in my soups.  It is plain, so it has more of a sour taste.  If you want to eat it plain, I usually add a little bit of honey and some berries.  Here are the nutrition facts comparison for 1 cup.

1 cup of Kirkland Greek Yogurt                       1 cup of Cascade Farms Sour Cream
140 calories                                                       480 calories
0 g of fat                                                            40 g of fat
7 g of sugar                                                       16 g of sugar
24 g of protein                                                   8 g of protein


Sugar Cookie Recipe
1 cup butter ( 2 cubes)
2 cups sugar
2 eggs
2 tsp vanilla
dash of nutmeg (optional) - I didn't use this
1 cup of sour cream (I used greek yogurt)
6 1/2 cups of flour
1 tsp salt
2 tsp baking soda

Blend eggs, butter, and vanilla.  Add sugar and sour cream.  Then add dry ingredients.  Roll out.  I use my pastry cloth.  Love it!  Cut out cookies and bake at 350 degrees fro 8-9 minutes.

This batch here makes over 40 large Valentine Cookies, so I halved the recipe.



3 comments:

Taryn said...

Yum! I've needed a good sugar cookie recipe. Do you use the Kirkland Signature brand or Fage? Costco has both options here, and I love the Fage, but you do get less for more money so the KS brand would be nice for cooking with.

Brendan, Dana, Hazel, Hattie, and Niels said...

Yeah, I use the Kirkland Signature brand. I like Fage, but it is more expensive.

Taryn said...

Good to know! These sound so good I may just need to run to Costco today and make some for myself...a post St. Patrick's Day treat?