6.20.2009

Swine Flu?

On Thursday Brendan told me our next door neighbor had the swine flu and he wanted to move Hazel and I up to his parent's house for a few days. I told him we would be fine as long as we didn't come in contact with the neighbor. Later Thursday night while I was sleeping I started to get the chills. I had them for an hour and a half and could not get warm. Brendan tried to put lots of blankets on me, but my whole body was shaking. I had a fever of 102 and my body ached. Brendan was worried I had the swine flu and wanted to take me to the emergency room. He called the emergency room and asked if the baby could get the swine flu from me. Someone told him she could get it through my breast milk. This really concerned me because I needed to feed my baby. I called my mom (it was 4 a.m. in California so I'm sure she was a little concerned to hear the phone ringing) and asked about feeding Hazel. She said she had never heard of such a thing. Brendan called his mom and she called a nurse who said it was fine to breast feed, but I should cover my mouth so I didn't breathe on her. The rest of the night Brendan and Hazel slept in the living room. Whenever I needed to feed Hazel I washed my hands a put a face mask on and Brendan brought her to me. Then Brendan would take her back. It was terrible.

The next day Brendan took me to urgent care to have a flu test. I tested negative for both A and B, so he said it was viral. He gave me a prescription for something strong, but Tylenol works fine for me. I've never been to the doctor for the flu, but I was worried because Hazel is only three weeks old. I kind of felt dumb because I'm sure they get lots of people who have the flu and freak out and think it's the swine flu. I wouldn't have normally gone in but I needed peace of mind. I guess I only had the 24 hour flu because luckily I feel fine now.

1 comment:

Jess said...

I'm so glad you guys are okay! You and the baby look wonderful, and thank you for sharing your story! What an inspiration. When/if that comes for me, I'll call you fo' sho'! Sad about the last day of school, but what a wonderful blessing little Hazel must be! Love you guys!