10.28.2011

Pumpkin Waffles and Buttermilk Syrup


I had some left over pumpkin puree in the fridge from making gelato and decided to use it up.  My friend gave me this recipe years ago, and I hadn't made it in a long time.  They're great on a nice fall morning.

Pumpkin Waffles

Batter
2 c flour
2 T baking powder
2 T cinnamon
1 T sugar
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp salt

Mix ingredients together, then add:

4 egg yolks (save whites)
1 c pumpkin
1 T vanilla
1 1/2 c milk
3/4 c melted butter

Then beat 4 egg whiles until stiff peaks form and fold them into the batter.

Cook in waffle iron.

Buttermilk Syrup

1/2 cube butter (not margarine)
1/2 c buttermilk (or substitute 1 T lemon juice + 1/2 c milk)
1 c sugar
1 tsp light corn syrup

Bring to a boil and take off heat.  Add 1 tsp baking soda and 1 tsp vanilla.  It will bubble up quite a bit, so make sure your pan is large enough.  Stir until it settles.

Serve warm over pumpkin waffles!


2 comments:

Tabitha said...

yum! You are so talented

Wendy said...

Mmmm I remember when you made me those pumpkin waffles! I'll have to try this recipe out!