6.08.2012

Lemonade & Sunshine

For Hazel's 3rd birthday party, I decided to do a pink lemonade party.  The colors were pink, yellow, and gray.  It was a lot of fun to plan, but also a lot of work.  I think a lot of people pay to have things done for a party, but it's much cheaper to DIY, so that's what I did.  I just purchased some digital paper and made all of the paper products myself in photoshop.  I made the invitations, food tent labels, pennant banners, glass drink and water bottle labels, party favor sticker labels, party hats, and thank you cards. For decorations I made some crepe paper garland, and just picked fresh roses from our yard and put them in mason jars as centerpieces. 

For food I decided to do a Create Your Own Salad.  Fresh salads always sound great to me in the summer.  I love Zupas (a local soup, salad, and sandwich shop) so I picked similar salad toppings and homemade dressings, and gave suggestions of some good combinations.  Guests had the option of different fruits, nuts, cheeses, and chicken. We also had rolls and butter. The children had almond butter and jelly sandwiches, fruit kabobs, and cheese and crackers.  The desserts were lemon bars, pink lemonade cupcakes, and chocolate dipped rice krispies, all made from scratch.

For activities I had a table where the children could make macaroni art, and also a little bounce house.  My parents bought that bounce house like 7 years ago for my little sister's 5th birthday party.  I had my parents bring it out when they came for graduation in April. It has been a lot of fun to have, and great for play dates.  

Brendan and I made the lemonade stand together, and it didn't cost a thing.  The wood was some leftover wood from a guy at Campus Plaza.  I had some chalkboard contact paper and we just stuck it on.  I really love how it turned out!

After Hazel's party, we had to run to another little boy's party around the corner, and Brendan's mom was amazing and cleaned most everything up.  Thank you Naidra!!


 I made this cake on Hazel's actual birthday (May 29th) earlier in the week.  It was a pink lemonade cake with a lemonade cream cheese frosting. Delicious! Here is the recipe. I made the frosting a little different though.  I used the same amount of butter as cream cheese, and did the sugar to taste. I found the ruffle tutorial here. It was really easy. Since my frosting was a cream cheese frosting, it wasn't as stiff, so my ruffles look a little different, but I still liked how they turned out. I made it with 6" pans, which was the perfect size.



I got the napkins, plates, and cute galvanized steel utensil container from Target!






The striped paper straws, cupcake wrappers, and chevron party bags are from Orson Gygi in Salt Lake.  I love that store!

I got these cute matching lemon shirts from Target.  Perfect for the party! 

The family.

I of course had to wear the party colors too!  These pink shoes were actually my wedding shoes from Payless.  I've gotten a lot of use out of them. 










And I couldn't leave out another picture of this cutie!

So after such a great party, the day didn't end that well.  Hazel had a little accident and fell our of her swing and her mouth hit the ground hard and knocked out her front tooth.  Our beautiful little Hazel now looks like a hillbilly.  We are hoping to get a fake tooth put in, because 4 years or so without a front tooth is a long time.  Such a sad day!  

2 comments:

Jenilyn said...

Im so sad we missed it, and I knew once I saw all the fun pictures I was going to regret it even more, you always throw the best parties! It looked perfect.

Tabitha said...

What a SUPER fun party. I am so sad about Hazel's tooth. She is still beautiful!