9.13.2012

California Day 6 / San Francisco

I had been wanting to go to Tartine for quite a while and last year when we were in San Francisco we weren't able to go.  I've read about Chad Robertson and his wife and their bread making and pastries in lots of magazines.  Unfortunately, it wasn't the greatest experience, but not because of the food.  When we got into town, we went and picked up our friend, Daniil, and then went to Tartine for lunch.  We had our double stroller, and the place was packed with not much room, so we had to fold up the stroller.  Then we were standing in line and the kids started going crazy.  Hazel was throwing an out of control fit about something and all of the hipsters around us were staring.  I had to take her outside, but she would't calm down.  Brendan had to come outside and try to work with her.  I found a two seater table and was saving it while Brendan and Daniil were ordering.  Brendan came back with 2 pastries a quiche and an open faced sandwich.  I guess these were premade and the other sandwiches were a half hour wait, which we couldn't do with the kids.  Brendan and I had to trade off eating and going outside with the kids.  The kids put me in a terrible mood, and I was still hungry after eating.  What we did eat though, was good.

Tartine was actually just down the road from Bi-Rite Creamery which we had been to before and loved.  It was also down the road from Mission Dolores Park, where they opened up a new kids playground at the beginning of the year.  We decided to let the kids get some energy out, so we walked down to the park.  It was the COOLEST kid's park I've ever been to.  The toys were so cool and modern, and it had such a beautiful view of the city.  The girls definitely enjoyed themselves.







Later we checked into our hotel and met up with Brendan's uncle Pete.  In the evening we went to dinner with Pete, Daniil, and Andre in Marin County.  We also enjoyed some delicious gelato from Ciao Bella.  I have their gelato cookbook, which I love, but I hadn't eaten at their gelataria.

2 comments:

holli h. said...

Hey Dana! I added your blog to my reader! Looks like an awesome time in San Fran. Next time we go, I'll definitely want to hit up some of these places. That gelato looks incredible.

Tabitha said...

it all looks yummy! You guys are total foodies and always know the nest places to eat!