9.28.2012

Tomatoes and.....other food


We've seriously had so many tomatoes this year, so I've been using them a lot in my recipes.  I made this delicious spaghetti sauce from Smitten Kitchen and loved it.  She gives you a few variations, so I pulsed my vegetables in the food processor and I simmered my sauce for 2 hours for my desired thickness.  I then used it to make a vegetable lasagna.  

I also made some creamy tomato soup the other day that I really enjoyed.  It was from my Bon Appetit magazine for October.  It called for canned tomatoes, but I used fresh.  Brendan put more seasonings in than the recipe called for like garlic salt.  It was really good, and I didn't get a picture of it, but here is the recipe.


I combined two different recipes to get this salsa, and I really liked it.  Go easy on the jalepenos at first and add more depending on how much spice you like.  I used some mild jalepenos from my garden on my first batch and then gave the recipe to my brother to make some.  The jalepenos he used were from the store and he doubled the recipe, so he put in three.  We'll just say it was fire hot.  We could barely eat it.   

Salsa
2 lbs fresh tomatoes cut into quarters
2 cloves of garlic
1 1/2 jalepenos (start out with 1 and add more after tasting)
1 bunch of cilantro
1/4 c onion
2 limes squeezed
1 tsp salt
1 tsp cumin

I put the first 5 ingredients in the food processor, but leave about 1/3 of the tomatoes out, and pulse about 15 times.  Just get it to your desired consistency and then pour it into a bowl.  Then take the rest of the tomatoes and put them in the food processor and process them less, so they are a little bit chunky.  Add those to the bowl also.  Then strain some the liquid out so it's now so runny.   Add the lime juice, salt, and cumin.  Enjoy.   




Belgium waffles are so good, but I wouldn't say they are a breakfast food with all of the sugar they contain.  Bruges Waffles in Salt Lake is really good, and Waffle Love is a great local food truck.  Yum!   I found a recipe that tastes just like them, but they do require a lot of time to make with all of the rising.  My favorite topping is for sure the biscoff spread in either creamy or crunchy.  You can order it online and it is pretty pricey, but I finally found it at Winco of all places for a great deal.  We eat it by the jar full here.  You can use it on anything you would put nutella on.  It kind of tastes like liquid teddy grahams.  The recipe also calls for pearl sugar which I bought at a specialty store in Salt Lake, but then I read you could also crush up sugar cubes to the same size.  We've used both and they turned out very similar.


I found this watermelon lemonade recipe from Rockstar Diaries (I found her blog a few months ago from a friend and LOVE it.  She has great style.)  It tastes great!  I think Hazel will definitely have to sell it at her lemonade stand next summer!


I tried this pizza dough recipe for the first time a few months ago and loved it!  I got it from my Bon Appetit magazine.  It is a no knead dough and the crust turns out chewy with air bubbles.  For toppings I used caramelized onions, goat cheese, mozzarella, thyme, pine nuts, and olive oil.  Give it a try!

No comments: